This stir fry was the hands-down favorite dish of our crew while we were filming in Railay, Thailand. After we wrapped, I asked Wan to teach me how to make it so I could re-create it at home (and now, you can too!)
I talked in my last post about how much I loved Wan-A-Rouy, as much for the food as the wonderful owners, Bird and Wan.
Wan has a magic touch with cooking, but I’m feeling much more confident after a fun-filled afternoon in her kitchen about my abilities to recreate her dishes at home. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
The trick here is to not get scared off by the amount of garlic (six cloves per serving!) and pepper (a TON) going into this. The flavors manage to come together deliciously, and it couldn’t be easier to throw together.
Try it out this weekend and let me know what you think! If you’d prefer to not make it with beef, prawns or fried tofu work equally well.
Wan-A-Rouy’s Garlic and Pepper Stir Fry
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 3T cooking oil
- 1T freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4lb of beef, thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion (chopped)
- ~1/4c baby corn
- ~1/4c Chinese broccoli (can substitute with spinach if preferred)
- 1T chili peppers (diced) (can use jalapeños if red Thai peppers are unavailable)
- ~1/4c mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ~1/4c shredded carrot
- 1t powdered chicken stock
- 2t sugar
- 2t oyster sauce (This one is Wan’s favorite!)
- 2t soy sauce (try to avoid Kikkoman in favor of a Thai soy sauce like Golden Mountain or Healthy Boy)
- Fried onions, to top
Prep time 15 minutes; Cook time 6-8 minutes.
- Begin by heating oil in a wok or large frying pan on medium-high.
- Sauté garlic and pepper together until garlic begins to brown (~30 seconds)
- Add beef and sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until beef begins to brown.
- Then add onion, baby corn, Chinese broccoli, chili, mushrooms, and carrots.
- Add in chicken stock, sugar, oyster sauce, and soy sauce, and continue to sauté all ingredients 2-3 minutes or until broccoli begins to wilt. Do a quick taste test, and adjust spices to your preference.
- Top with fried onions to serve.
A huge thank you to Bird and Wan, for welcoming me and the crew into their restaurant repeatedly during our time in Railay. You made our stay unforgettable (and delicious!). Can’t wait until our next visit!