Sometimes it’s best to just let the ingredients do the talking: this salad is one of those times.
I was hungry for a light salad on a hot San Francisco day (they do exist!), and came up with this simple yet delightful recipe with the ingredients I had on hand.
I realize it’s a bit late in the season for some of these fruits, so this might be a recipe to save for next summer if you’re in a colder area.
But if you do happen to come across the ingredients, I would highly recommend that you toss them together and enjoy a last stolen bite of summer.
Ingredients (makes one)
- 1 large handful of blueberries
- 1 firm kiwi, peeled
- ~7-10 fresh mint leaves, shredded, more or less to taste
- 1 lime, for juicing
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar, more or less to taste
- Optional: 3-4 lychee fruits, peeled
- Rinse all ingredients thoroughly, and pat dry.
- Peel kiwifruit and cut into cubes. You can also leave the skin intact if you’d like a bit of extra fiber.
- Peel lychees, if using.
- Shred the mint leaves by tearing them with your hands (you can chop them if you’d prefer smaller pieces). Using your hands allows the leaves to “bruise” a bit more and release more mint taste.
- Toss all ingredients together with sugar and the juice of the lime. Taste, and add more mint or sugar as needed.