These orchid-inspired picks continue to hold their own as we head into fall.
Every year, Pantone previews a host of new colors and selects a single shade to be declared the Color of the Year. Announced in December, the chosen color is then reproduced everywhere, from clothing to home interiors to beauty.
Naturally, some years have a bit more success than others (sorry 2009, but I’d rather drink a Mimosa than wear one). But their 2014 pick, Pantone Radiant Orchid, was spot on.
I realized the other day that the 2014 pick has worked its way into my makeup bag in more ways than one. I want to share a few of my favorite Radiant Orchid beauty buys to demonstrate how easy and surprisingly versatile this shade really is.
Inspired By: Pantone Radiant Orchid
- Revlon Color Burst Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie – I swap my regular lip balm out for this when I need an extra little pop (in the prettiest purpley-pink) to my lips.
- Benefit Lollitint – This doesn’t show up as a lip stain at all for me (and I have pretty light lips!), but I love using it as a cheek stain. It adds just the right little dab of color.
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Berry Couture – Okay, bear with me on this one. I know it looks super
purpleorchid in the tube, but it’s surprisingly light. Add too many layers and it starts to get a little crazy. but one or two swipes is perfect.
- OPI Nail Polish in Do You Lilac It? – I first discovered this shade while vacationing on Mackinac Island, supposedly the inspiration behind the color. Either way, I’ve stuck with it as my go-to lilac shade!
- L’Oreal Hair Chalk in First Date Violet – I used this to ombre the ends of my long hair purple, and I loved it. Wallflowers, beware though: just about everyone I met had something to say about my new hue, so you just have to embrace it. But with a shade this awesome, what’s not to love?
And if beauty’s not your thing, why not try these inspired-by picks:
For more color inspiration, take a look at the shades that Pantone has previewed for 2015 here.