Luckily, I’ve had the opportunity to hone my snack game over several years of flying. Aside from the occasional misstep (did you know that TSA counts applesauce as a liquid?… me either), I think I finally have my favorite in-flight foods down pat.
With that, here are my 7 favorite pre-packaged airplane snacks! Grab one of these the next time you’re heading to the airport, and may you never be forced to eat stale peanuts again.
My 7 favorites:
- Dried fruit (apricots and mangos are my go-tos)
- Roasted almonds (try Rosemary Roasted Almonds)
- Kale chips (Or you can make your own, just be sure to put them in a hard-sided container so they don’t get crushed!)
- Hard boiled eggs (Don’t know how? Check out this easy guide)
- Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Dried organic seaweed (this does have some salt, so be sure to hydrate)
- Detox tea – (Kusmi Tea makes a super yummy one! I know it’s not technically a food item, I love getting hot water on the plane and cozying up with some tea)
In the rare instance that I find myself at an airport empty-handed, I try to buy foods that meet a few simple rules:
Rules for Grab-and-Go
- Nothing with a too-strong scent (I love beef jerky, but the entire plane doesn’t need to know that.)
- Good at room temperature
- Low in sodium (Hydration is critical for maintaining your skin when flying, so I try to avoid things with too much salt.)
- As minimally processed as possible
- Can withstand being thrown into my bag (After a traumatic incident with soy sauce, I learned that it’s best to have things that are sealed securely and don’t need to be kept upright.)
Safe travels, and happy trails!